Tuesday, October 28, 2008

An epiphany over cocktails

Today I had a meeting every hour, and some every half hour. It was a really busy day. After work, I went to a work event and had a glass of wine with a cartoonist for The New Yorker. He said to me, "People who are too busy don't have time to be creative."

"But everyone is busy," I said.

"Not me," he said. "I hang out, I nap. When I hear my wife coming home, I sometimes run over to my desk and pretend to be hard at work."

I'm not saying I want to be this guy (though he did have cool hair.) But it was an interesting conversation and made me want to strike that fine balance between being busy enough to stay conscious, but not so busy that I can't find time to be creative. How to actually strike that balance continues to elude me, but I'm thinking it involves getting a job that pays a lot of money and doesn't require many hours of work.

I know what you're thinking. Genius.

1 comment:

Colleen_Katana said...

Dude...my boyfriend is a DC Comic artist, and he does the SAME THING. Fucking illustrators. I come home and sometimes catch him napping on the couch or watching Star Trek. He takes a break at 3pm every day to go to the gym. Makes me so jealous... ::sigh:: if only.