Wednesday, December 17, 2008

David Sedaris

On Monday night, Rob and I went to Lincoln Center for "A Night with David Sedaris," which was really more like a few hours with David Sedaris, and everyone kept their clothes on. It was a family event, the kind where you might hear words like "fart" and "cockmaster"...but only once or twice.

The thing that is notable to me about David Sedaris is that he will just start talking, like he might say "Please make sure your cell phones are turned off," and people will start laughing. Rob asked me why they were laughing and I said I thought they were either high or they were just so excited to hear David Sedaris read that they were going to laugh the entire time. At everything.

"I thought that I would read something that I wrote 15 years ago," David Sedaris said, and the woman behind us busted up like someone was tickling her armpit fat.

He read several great essays, one of which told of a trip to Costco with his brother-in-law where the only thing in their cart was a bulk box of condoms and a 5-lb bag of strawberries (this because David Sedaris likes to give gifts to the teenagers who attend his readings, and his brother-in-law likes fruit.)

It was a really fun night, courtesy of Penny and Bill, who got us the tickets as a wedding gift. We do not motivate well to buy ourselves tickets to things. Thinking about this, Rob said, "We need to get tickets to something else now."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because it was fun," he mused. "And it makes me sound more interesting...except then I run home to watch Monday Night Football. I bet not many other people in that theater were running home to watch football, he said proudly."

Yes, that's right. Rob is now writing his own lines for the blog. I need to rethink this.

1 comment:

Penny K said...

I think most people already believe that you are the type of couple that has fabulous tickets to fabulous events every couple of nights or so. That's why we got you tix instead of a toaster. We thought it would be in keeping with your already interesting lifestyle. And also, there is NO SHAME WHATSOEVER in running home to watch Monday Night Football. Or any other day or night. On another note... 2 mentions of "Penny and Bill" on the blog in 2 days!! This means that we are interesting and worth noting. In writing. And I'm sticking with that because it's a good way to end 2008!! We had a great time with you in DC - Merry Christmas and all the best for 2009!! xoxo.