Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Save your quarters. And your children.

On my walk to the gym, I pass a coin-operated ride, the kind that sits outside grocery stores or at amusement parks. It’s a little child-sized yellow bus and for two quarters, you can entertain your kid for 30 seconds. Seems harmless, right?
Wrong.
Whenever someone walks past this thing, the freakish Blair Witch giggles of invisible children come rising out of it. The first time I heard it, I looked around confused and then realized that I was the only one walking down the inner corridor of Chelsea Piers and that the sound was coming from the yellow bus. I guess that’s how they lure kids in, by making it seem like it’s so fun that even fake kids enjoy it.
Yet the bus is always empty. It appears that no one really wants to ride with the Children of the Corn.

Just for fun, here's a ride that's creepy in a different way.

No comments: