Friday, January 4, 2008

The road to Washington

As most people know by now, Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee stole the show in the Iowa caucuses. This is exciting stuff for Obama—depending on what happens in New Hampshire and beyond, he could definitely widen his base and potentially bring out voters who wouldn’t normally cast a ballot in November. It will be fun to watch how this plays out.

NPR interviewed Iowa #2 John Edwards this morning and he was unable to directly answer Renee Montagne's question: where do you have to come out in New Hampshire in order to stay strong in this election? He literally talked around the issue for 45 seconds until she asked “But, back to the question, do you have a number?” and he talked around the question some more. I so need to master the technique where people ask you direct questions and you just respond with a few enigmatic code words, a bit of sign language, and then yell "Look over there!"

As for Mike Huckabee, though I doubt he’ll keep his momentum, I welcome him as the Republican candidate, since any number of Dem candidates could totally trounce him in a general election. After the results last night, he announced that now he was “grooving” or “in a groove” or something like that. I don’t know a ton about the Baptist minister from Arkansas, but I suspect he wouldn’t know what a groove was even if James Brown was attached to his ass. And I say that after having seen him performing Freebird in New Hampshire. Check it out if you must.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Great post, Cogs. In the middle of a great New Yorker article about the former mayor of your fair city, Mr. Rudolph Giuliani. When I read about crazies like Rudy, I feel relieved that a relatively benign (albeit frighteningly green) candidate like Huckabee managed to win in Iowa.... Then I remember that the man from Hope doesn't believe in evolution and I feel sad all over again.

Did you happen to hear Barack's victory speech? Powerful stuff.

Joe Cog said...

I have this nagging feeling that sometime before the election, Bush and Cheney are going to execute some form of "Look over there!" to try to stay in office. For example, they could invoke a rule (previously unknown here but used on occasion in Africa) that says if one party has absolutely no viable candidate, the election has to be postponed until they do.

Catherine said...

So, do you want me to ask you THE direct question so you can practice the Edwardian procedure or should I just skip it so you have time to practice? I vote for the latter.