Wednesday, April 1, 2009

That's me in the corner

Today I had meetings in New Jersey, and when they were over at around 2pm, I decided it would be best to go home rather than back to the office. Thus I walked into the apartment this afternoon far, far earlier than I usually do, and interrupted Hazel the Cleaning Lady. Before she saw me, I backed out of the door and shut it softly. Then I stood in the hall.

I don't know what to do when Hazel is there. I don't want to get in her way; I don't even like to leave things for her to clean. This morning, in anticipation of her arrival, I emptied all the garbage, unloaded the dishwasher, started a load of laundry, and went around making sure everything was tidy. Then I wrote her a check and took off for work.

Still, I felt a little silly standing in the hallway with my bags. So I sat down against the wall. Finally, Josh came in with his dog-walker, and I was forced to confront the fact that I was hanging out in the hallway. I introduced myself to the dogwalker. "I don't normally hang out in the hallway," I said, getting off the floor.

"Sherri!" Hazel called when I walked in. She came over to hug me. I don't have the heart to correct her at this point, but I often wonder who she thinks the Sarah-person is who signs the checks.

I shuffled through the apartment awkwardly, promised her I would not get in the way, and promptly holed up at my new desk.

No comments: