Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Is It Safe?

I had a cavity filled today for the first time in about 16 years. The dentist assured me it would be quick and painless, and said that although I would feel like my face was swelling up, it really wasn't, so don't be nervous.

Finding out that I had a cavity felt like failure in some way. I am a bad flosser, I admit it. And then there was the procedure itself. There's something very weird about getting a hole drilled in your head, but I looked at the ceiling and tried to ignore the smell of hot flying tooth chips.

Anyway, the real point of this post is that the entire side of my face is killing me. It feels like I got smashed in the head. So I am sitting here with a bag of peas on it and I just want this to be a cautionary tale to anyone who feels like they don't have "time" to floss. Do it now.

5 comments:

Dan said...

Amanda is a prolific flosser. And she's the only person I know who genuinely enjoys visiting the dentist every six months.

Sarah said...

Ahhhh...every six months. Perhaps that's my problem. ;)

Unknown said...

So, people complain about fearing visits to "the doctor". When my patients come to see me, I greet them with a smile,listen to their heart and lungs and then they leave, FULLY intact. However, every visit to the dentist is a WORLD OF HURT. . . there's a reason you didn't go for 16 years. Let me tell you lady, if you go back in 6 months, it's still going to HURT! Don't do it!

Sarah said...

Whoa, doc. I go to the dentist every 1-2 years. I just haven't had a *cavity* in 16 years.

But I could get on board for your prescription of dental truancy...

Jay Nicolosi said...

dentists are all about fear: i remember being told if i didn't have my wisdom teeth pulled, i'd "wake up one day in a world of pain." the only way to avoid this pain was to schedule a visit for a different "world of pain". in hindsight, i'm not certain that was a good trade off. for you logic-nuts, the equation in my head is: possible pain < certain and expensive pain.